Divine Revelation

A blog with an Islamic perspective


Jack Straw has ignited controversy on his remarks over the veil.
Here are some FAQs. You will get the answers by clicking the question itself.

Who is Jack Straw?

What did he say?

What did he mean (if you read between the lines)?
  • He expressed his discomfort at speaking to someone wearing a veil.(veil is not good, its un-natural)
  • He said that veiled women whom he met happily removed their veils upon request.(Muslim women are suppressed into wearing the veil)
  • He said that veiling was hampering improvement in race relations.(blames Muslims, onus is not on us but them)
  • He said he supported abolishing veils altogether.(shows his level of tolerance)

Can you show me a one balanced Muslim reaction to Straw's statement?

Can you cite a Muslim woman's personal confession to wear the headscarf?

How can I understand this veiling business?

More on this veil or niqab or purdah?

Do other religions also preach modesty? What about Christianity?

What are the ill effects of immodesty?

The social problems citied below are the direct result of a society that derides Divine Revelation commanding modesty and sexual relations strictly under the institution of marriage.

Teenage pregnancy

Rape

Stalking

Sin and the Indian call centres

Posted by Arshad on Monday, October 09, 2006.

13 Responses to “Veil-off with Jack Straw”

  1. # Blogger A.H.

    Hello, Arshad, thank you for the invite to "Divine Revelation". I do like the clarity of your "blog" and its layout. Thank you for reading my piece on the veil. I think your reading between the lines is accurate--I wish I didn't have to admit that this was so! My post carries on from yours: this individual case has been hi-jacked because the press want to make a Christian versus Muslim conflict. All kinds of insults have been thrown in this case. My home in the UK is close to where the London bombers came from. The area contains many "moderate" Muslims. I am not sure what a "moderate" Muslim is, however. The word suggests "not too bothered". But these are people who are committed to their faith, incredibly humble and courteous, and yet it is they who bear the force of growing Islamaphobia. I have taught Muslim pupils from Iran, Pakistan, India, Nigeria, Malaysia...known all their parents...have yet to come across a woman who felt oppressed. You say you differ on some points--do comment and tell me how, as I would be interested to know. Perhaps, I should have mentioned the veil and its link to modesty. Again, thank you for your invite.  

  2. # Blogger Arshad

    Thanks for your visit to my blog and your appreciative comments. To be honest I re-read your post from home and have to admit that I now fully concurr with your views (no differences whatsoever). Aishah needs to veil only in front of male colleagues not from children under 12 if she was already not doing that.
    BYT check out http://anarchomuslim.blogspot.com/  

  3. # Blogger Julaybib

    Two things. First, not many people have mentioned his articles patronising tone. Talking to Muslims like children. The implication is that we are stupid. Second, did you notice how Jack talked about 'our society'. Reminds me of the British judge who, when sentencing a black man, began his address to the court with, 'In this country, we...', despite the fact the guy in the dock was British born. Are we not member of this society? Reading the actual words, apparently Jack thinks not.

    Wasalaam

    TMA  

  4. # Blogger Luqman

    Aisha didn't want to wear the niqab in front of the kids. She said she'd only wear it if there was a male member of staff there.

    Though I don't know if the main teacher of the class is male or not.  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    what creative veils these women have :)  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hello,
    Perhaps I have misinterpreted your opinion, but are you saying that rape is a result of women not wearing the veil?
    I know there was a cleric in Australia who said that recently (though many Muslims condemned him for this).
    If so, do you feel that rape in acceptable if a woman isn't covered up? Surely men (some of whom claim to be the superior species) should be able to control themselves and not act like animals.
    However, if this is not what you were implying, then sorry!  

  7. # Blogger Arshad

    Thanks Holly for visiting my blog.

    There is absolutely no justification for rape, and in no way do i subscribe to the view that rape is a result of women not wearing the veil or not covering up properly.

    A rapist can in no way plead not guilty citing provocation as a reason for his henious behaviour in any court of law.

    In Islam both consensual sex and rape are equally reprehensible.

    Since prevention is better than cure, Islam instructs people to keep away from all those avenues that act as a catalyst towards fornication like drugs, alcohol, music,etc

    Dressing modestly is a part of this whole scheme of establishing a moral and God-fearing society.  

  8. # Blogger Safiyyah

    As Salaamu Alaikum Arshad:

    Here's more veil insanity:

    http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/opinion/15859621.htm

    This author likens niqabis to thieves and liars and accuses them of having poor manners!  

  9. # Blogger Safiyyah

    Salaams ... sorry! the rest of the link is opinion/15859621.htm

    I am computer-challenged at times!  

  10. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Asalaamu alaikum Arshad.

    Thanks for your comment on my blog. I followed it to see what your blog was like and am very impressed!

    SubhanAllah, I was very surprised to see that you linked to my article about why I wear hijab! I think I am blushing!

    But seriously, this is a wonderful post and it is really great that you include links to other outside sources and opinions. I especially appreciate the link that demonstrates that modest dress is not just for Muslims, as I was recently challenged by a reader of my article who assumed I was saying that only Muslim women ever cover and only Muslim women "have to" do so. I strongly recommend that people become more knowledgeable about world history. It's amazing how much people don't know about their own culture, history etc much less to be making ignorant comments on another's.

    And BTW, I have also worn niqaab at various points. I LOVE it completely and never felt that it was an impediment on me interacting in ways that were necessary or appropriate. I appreciate the added privacy it affords, and I simply find it comfortable.  

  11. # Blogger Arshad

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.  

  12. # Blogger Arshad

    Salam alykum
    Jazakallah Khair.....all for your comments and encouragement...  

  13. # Blogger Arshad

    No Anon they we don't torture we differ with dignity.....  

Post a Comment